Pages

Monday, August 8, 2016

Baby #5 12 Week OBGYN Visit

Friday afternoon I had my 12 week check up! Chloe decided she wanted to come with and I'm so glad she did. She was such a sweetheart and I love that she's at an age where she understands what is going on.

After we checked in, we didn't have to wait too long. Thank goodness because waiting with kids can sometimes make it feel 10x longer. Luckily, Chloe was in such a good mood and on her best behavior.

My weight was 1 lb higher than my very first appointment, but I was expecting that because it was a late afternoon appointment and I didn't take my shoes off like I normally do. Blood pressure looked good as well!

The nurse checked the baby's heartbeat which is new to me as the doctor normally does that. It took a little bit to find, but since baby is still so little and low, I totally expected it! Heartbeat was 174 and Chloe thought it was such a neat sound! She kept saying, "Whoosh whoosh whoosh!" :) I don't follow the old wives' tale of the heartbeat since it's ranged with all of my children! I know anything over the 160s they say is a girl, but we'll just have to wait and see!

My midwife, LeeAnn, is so awesome! Our new insurance isn't accepted at my previous OB's office where I've gone for the past 6 years, so it was scary to me to have to switch for this pregnancy. Especially after Luke's pregnancy last year and everything that went on. That office just KNOWS me and knows what to look out for. I totally lucked out in finding LeeAnn and I'm so glad she is able to care for me during this pregnancy. She's so on board with me going for a VBAC (I had my 1st c-section with Luke last year due to complete placenta previa) and says that it should be no issue whatsoever, especially because my first 3 births were vaginal.

We talked about getting the genetic testing done and I asked her if it was necessary this time since I've had it with my four previous pregnancies and I know that I carry no genetic disorder genes. She agreed that we could totally skip it and that if something showed up on my 20 week ultrasound, we could go from there with testing. Works for me! I did have to get the general "new OB" blood work done, but that's no problem. (It tests for things like HIV and to make sure I'm healthy ie no drugs)

I did ask her about the whooping cough vaccine and if I needed to have it done again with this pregnancy even though I had it back in September. She said that yes, it's so important to get it done to pass that immunity on to baby. She mentioned that Josh should have it done as well before baby is born. The kids are fine since they follow the routine vaccine schedule and are all up to date. So, I'll be getting that done sometime between 26-34 weeks!

It was a quick, easy visit! On the way out, Chloe got to pick a treat from LeeAnn's stash on her desk. She totally bypassed the fruit snacks and picked a sucker. Surprised me!

I have my next visit scheduled at 16 weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, you rock. This is an awesome way to keep everyone up to date on baby Hilbert in between regular family visiting time. You are great at many things, but awesome at motherhood. We are blessed in so many ways and if I do not say it often enough, I am proud of you and I love you dearly. Love and Hugs, Mom H

    ReplyDelete